duration measure in EVAL

Mara Steinberg Lowe mara.steinberg at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 05:45:05 UTC 2015

I am using EVAL to analyze picture description samples and would like to
calculate the words/min for each participant. I see that this is a variable
that is provided in the output, but am unsure of how the duration measure
is calculated.  Does EVAL calculate the duration of only the target
utterances (e.g., for the Participant, but not the interviewer) when the
utterances are linked to the transcript? If yes, is a sound bullet needed
for every utterance and what happens if there is not a sound bullet for
each utterance? If no, is there another way to easily extract the duration
for only one speakers utterances?

Thank you!

~Mara