Questions about CHIP

Jenna jenna08 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 23:14:25 UTC 2015

Hello again,

I am using the CHIP utility for a research project. I am interested in
looking at how much mothers imitate and expand upon child utterances and
whether that facilitates language development.

I have a few questions about some of the summary measures included in CHIP.
I plan to use %_Overlap and %_EXPAN in my analysis, but I am not sure I
understand Avg_Dist, Rep_Index, and %_IMITAT. These are the descriptions
included in the manual:

“$DIST: the distance the response utterance is from the source”

“Avg_Dist: The sum of the DIST values divided by the total number of
overlapping utterances.”

“Rep_Index: Average proportion of repetition between the source and
response utterance across all the overlapping responses in the data.”

“%_IMITAT: ?? The numerator is the number of imitations and the denominator
is ???”

My questions are:

   1. How is distance measured? Is this how many utterances there are
   between source and response?
   2. Is the Rep_Index how closely the source and response match (e.g. 3
   out of 4 words match)?
   3. Does %_IMITAT measure percent of responses that exactly imitate the
   source? What is the denominator?

Any further explanation you could provide on these measures would be very
helpful. Thank you again for all of your help and for this wonderful
program!
Jenna K. Poland
M.A Speech-Language Pathology Candidate, May 2015
Graduate Assistant to Nan B. Ratner, Ed.D
University of Maryland, College Park