Freq in a bilingual conversation

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Fri Jul 10 22:29:02 UTC 2015

Dear Alex,

Are you using the angela.cha file in the /Biling/CUHK segment of CHILDES?  If so, there is only a minimal
amount of Mandarin (zho) in that file, but the one utterance that is relevant comes up fine with this command:

freq +s"[- zho]” angela.cha

> freq +s"[- zho]" angela.cha
freq +s"[- zho]" angela.cha
Fri Jul 10 18:26:51 2015
freq (08-May-2015) is conducting analyses on:
  ALL speaker tiers
>From file <angela.cha>
Speaker: *AUN:
------------------------------
    0  Total number of different item types used
    0  Total number of items (tokens)

Speaker: *CHI:
  1 cookie at s
  1 gwaai3sau2
  1 ji4zoeng6
  1 tung4waa6
    4  Total number of different item types used
    4  Total number of items (tokens)
1.000  Type/Token ratio

Perhaps you need a new version of CLAN?

—Brian MacWhinney