number of tokens for VOCD

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Wed Jul 15 16:31:10 UTC 2015

Dear Gordana,

    You might want to double check the book by Malvern et al. on VOCD, but I believe that the minimum value is set at 50 because results are unstable for smaller files.
    We plan to implement another measure of lexical diversity called MATTR (moving average TTR) that may be a bit better for your purposes.  Once it is ready, I will post a note to ChiBolts about this.
    One general point.  If all you care about is making within-group comparisons, then using small transcripts is not a huge problem.  However, if you were to attempt to compare lexical diversity numbers  from small transcripts of the type you are describing with those with large transcripts, then even VOCD would run into problems.

—Brian MacWhinney