Linking text to audio or video / sonic chat?

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Mon Jun 8 19:48:20 UTC 2015

Dear Amber,
    You can link to video without paying any attention to the audio.  Just don’t select Sonic Mode. However, if you want to use Sonic Mode, you can combine this with the other video editing features.

 I took a look just now at section 7.3 on video editing and I see that the material in the first paragraph was out of date.  Here is the newer version:
To learn to do video linking, it is best to work with the tutorial materials available from http://childes.talkbank.org/clan/tutorial.zip <http://childes.talkbank.org/clan/tutorial.zip>.  The tutorial uses a conversation between a clinician and a person with aphasia describing a picture story.  The final version you are trying to create is 09final.cha in the /transcribing folder.

1.           You may want to open this at the beginning. After the file opens, you will see some solid black bullets. These are the time markers.

2.           If you type Esc-A they will expand and you can see their values.  Then type Esc-A again to close them.  Remember to always release the escape key before typing the next key.

3.           Now place your cursor near the beginning of the file and type Esc-8 for con­tinuous playback.  The video window should open and the file should play back.  When you want it to stop, double click.

4.           To play back a single line, place your mouse just to the left of a bullet, press the command key (Windows: control) and click the mouse. After a few seconds of pause, the segment will play.

5.           Try playing different segments, as well as using the continuous movie playback mode, showing and playing from thumbnails, and other video features found in the "Mode" menu.

After exploring the final product, you should go through the files in the /transcribing section in sequence.

—Brian MacWhinney