VOCD is too high

Nan Ratner nanratner at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 01:20:58 UTC 2016

I didn't notice how old the child was, but I'd say Brian is right. In fact,
we just wrote an article together in which we took a look at language
sample analysis (LSA) metrics for a large number of kids in the Archive
talking with their mom or another adult (typical toy play scenarios) and we
definitely saw kids hit an "average" in that range between 4 and 6 years,
and the range definitely went that high well before that. As you know, the
problem with defining a real "norm" for VocD is its resampling algorithm
that won't give you exactly the same score twice, down to the decimal
point, but we are going to see if we can tackle this in the near future
statistically.
I am attaching a pdf of the article if you'd like to see our results. BTW,
I am glad to see someone using this kind of assignment. In case it helps
any other teachers out there, I kept the issue of VocD replicability to
myself until after the assignment was handed in, just to see if I could
spot people handing in one another's work, since for undergrads I gave them
a choice of only about a dozen taped interactions they could use to try
their hands at LSA. Over the years, I did catch just one pair of students.

Nan

On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 4:01 PM, Nick Riches <nick.riches at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm teaching CLAN to Speech and Language Therapy students. As an exercise
> they have to calculate VOCD
>
> One student is consistently getting VOCD scores much higher than 70 (for
> the VOCD program) and around 100 for KIDEVAL. This is a young child. I've
> had a brief look and can't see anything odd about the coding that would
> lead to these kind of results. I've attached the CHAT script, and the
> MOR.PST.CEX scripts.
>
> Does anyone know why it's so high?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Nick