VOCD is too high

Nick Riches nick.riches at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 09:13:48 UTC 2016

Dear Brian

Thanks for getting back so quickly. I've just checked, and KIDEVAL is
consistent with VOCD. Apologies - the student reported a difference, and I
should have triple-checked before posting.

Regarding VOCD, I've been using the norms provided in  Durán, P., Malvern,
D., Richards, B., & Chipere, N. (2004). Developmental Trends in Lexical
Diversity. *Applied Linguistics*, *25*(2), 220–242.
http://doi.org/10.1093/applin/25.2.220. This seems to be the most recent
published source of norms on D, but I may be wrong. According to these, a D
score of 70 would put a child aged 6 years old in the 90th centile.
However, according to the norms which Nan sent through in the 2016 article
"Your laptop to the rescue", a D score of 70 is about average for this age.
I presume that these recent norms are more comprehensive. So the issue is
not the accuracy of the software, but where to obtain a good set of norms
to interpret VOCD.

It would be great if I could circulate this chapter to the students, but it
may be subject to copyright. I could also develop my own norms, but my CLAN
skills are not quite up to scratch (just yet!)

Best wishes

Nick Riches