syntactic complexity using MEGRASP?

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Thu Aug 25 18:42:16 UTC 2016

Dear Kimberley,
Once you have a dependency structure from MEGRASP, you could tabulate the GRs (grammatical relations) the involve subordination (CMOD, XMOD, CPRED, XPRED) using FREQ and then divide by total #words.  However, if you want to exactly replicate the methods of the subordination index as defined in SALT, you would have to really do this all by hand.  My guess is that an automatic computation based on the codes on the %gra line would be just as accurate as the 16 step/criteria SI computation defined in SALT.  It would be interesting to know for sure.

--Brian MacW