Freq Command on %gra Tier

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Wed Aug 31 18:50:07 UTC 2016

Dear Kimberley,
To count, for example, all the cases of XCOMP in the productions by the child in the Eve corpus in Eng-NA-MOR/Brown.zip on CHILDES, I used this command:

freq +t%gra +s"%|XCOMP" *.cha +u +t*CHI

You could add more +s switches for CMOD, CPRED, and XPRED.  Go through the documentation of the GRs in the manual to see if you consider any others to involve embedding.  Then, I suppose you want to take account of the overall size of your corpus by running

freq +t%gra *.cha +u +t*CHI

Then you can divide by the total number of tokens you get there.

--Brian MacWhinney