KWAL not finding words that FREQ has found...

Alcock, Katie k.j.alcock at lancaster.ac.uk
Thu Dec 1 12:51:09 UTC 2016

I’ve just been running this command on multiple files (I’m going to give the examples from the Gathburn corpus where I’m working only on the three year olds)

freq +o +d2 +f   @  +u +k  +t%mor -t* +s@"r*,o%" +t*GER: +t*KAT: +t*VID: +t*JAS: +t*ALL: +t*UNK:

It gives me a  nice output that appears to be all the lemmas from all the individual child tiers plus the child tier ALL and the one UNK.

It includes obviously some idiosyncratic words such as bektim which GER says and I can find this in one of the files by searching.

However if I run KWAL with this list of idiosyncratic and/or words I want to check:

kwal  @ +t*GER: +t*KAT: +t*VID: +t*JAS: +t*ALL: +t*UNK:  +t%mor +f +s@"Kwal words to find.txt"

cazbare

cenj

dida

givin

hawi

kit

ma

mboat

sith

tikdik

(I suspect givin and mboat are spelling errors, “dida” may also be, and I’m trying to find out if “ma” here is being used for “mother” and if “kit” is being used for “kat”)

then ONLY finds “kit”. This is the same whether I run it on the mor tier or the main speaker tier.

Any thoughts? If I run KWAL on each word individually it does the same – only the time I run it for Kit does it come up with something .

Incidentally the FREQ command also tells me that one of the lemmas is “genmod”.

Thanks

Katie