Question - Calculation of measures by excluding specific utterances using Tier (%xstr)

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Mon Dec 19 08:07:57 UTC 2016

Dear Toh An,

    I can't think of any way for CLAN to ignore utterances based on the way you are coding this.  Maybe Leonid can.  However, you don't actually have to delete the relevant utterances.  You just scan page your files and insert the [+ exc] postcode (or any other abbreviation you like) at the end of each utterance that also has this %xstr: 1 code.  Then you use the -s switch as in -s"[+ exc]" to exclude those utterances in the various CLAN programs.

I don't know how many files you have like this.  If it is an enormous amount, then it is conceivable that you could get someone to write a program that would insert the [+ exc] for you.

-- Brian MacWhinney