accurate utterance and turn counts taking into account linguistic, verbal, and non-verbal contributi

A Cristia alecristia at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 11:32:17 UTC 2016

Dear all,

I think I found the solution. Posting it here in case someone else ever has
the same question.
We want to count separately:

   1.

   Total number of interventions
   2.

   Number of verbal interventions
   3.

   Number of verbal *linguistic* interventions
   4.

   Number of verbal *non-linguistic* interventions
   5.

   Number of non-verbal interventions

Naturally, A=B+E and B=C+D, so only 3 numbers need to be calculated.

Imagine this example:

1     *CHI: 0.

2     *CHI: &baba .

3     *CHI: &baba .

4     *CHI: &baba .

5     *CHI: bat .

6     *CHI: baby .

We'd like to find: A=6; B=5; C=2, D=3; E=1

mlt  @

Number of: utterances = 6 --> A

mlt +a @
Number of: utterances = 2 --> C
(Incidentally, I believe the manual pp. 118 and 119 is incorrect:"Utterances
with no words are excluded, although they can be included using the +a
switch." and "This switch causes all utterances to be counted, even if they
have no words." versus the in-CLAN explanation: "+a : do not count empty
utterances, 0.")

mlt +s"&*" @

Number of: utterances = 3 --> D

And the rest of the numbers are derived from those 3:

B=C+D= 2+3 = 5

E=A-B=6-5=1

-Alex