Timedur, %tim, and getting elapsed time output

Brian Verdine brian.verdine at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 17:35:16 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

I'm a new user and I have been doing some work to convert a homegrown
transcription system to CHAT files.  The transcriptions I converted all had
a start time that was the timestamp from the videos and every X utterances,
transcribers were asked to write another timestamp, including specifically
stamping the last utterance.  I did not want to lose this information, so
when I created the CHAT files I used a VB script to put the start time in
with an "@Time Start:  mm:ss" header and then placed all of the following
timestamps into the transcriptions with %tim tiers, resulting in a file
that looks like the attached.  Because these transcriptions are converted
from another format, they are not linked in any way to the video using
bullets.

I'm having a hard time finding a lot of information about getting commands
to read time information written into the transcriptions or if there is a
simple way to just output the total elapsed time for a transcription from
the start time and  %tim tiers.  From what I gather timedur does not look
at %tim tiers and I can verify that when I run it on these files it outputs
a blank excel sheet with timedur column headers.

I am not necessarily looking to do anything fancy. I want to be able to
auto-calculate the total time for identifying possible reliability
concerns, report average transcribed times in a methods section, and *maybe* be
able to do some basic rate calculations in CLAN based on total time.

Is there a command I'm missing?  Is there a different format, headers, or
tiers I would need to use?  Or is there a way I can simply get the program
to output the start time and the last %tim tier for a group of files to an
excel sheet so that I can calculate the elapsed times quickly as a batch?
 I *could* have people go through them individually and make changes or
just calculate the times, but it is about 120 transcriptions.  I figured
some time investigating ways to automate this might be worth it.

Thanks for any help!
Brian