definitions of MOR part of speech codes

Rose Hartman rosemhartman at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 21:27:05 UTC 2016

Dear chibolts,
I am interested in examining patterns in CDS for words of different parts
of speech, and I am hoping to be able to use the %mor line from CHILDES
corpora for this analysis. I am running my analyses in R, using regular
expressions to identify the part of speech for each word, which is working
very well (thank you for making these excellent corpora available!). I am
having trouble interpreting some of the MOR codes, however.
Is there a complete list anywhere giving the definitions of the MOR codes?
I was able to find several informative posts on this topic (
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/chibolts/5N8m43WrCZs/jSkHAm6aSY8J,
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/chibolts/mLxcw2qyPpk/-wOqnUhh3HgJ,
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/chibolts/zAevVn1HUoU/ULg-ub4iBAAJ), but
none actually provide a complete list of definitions of MOR tags for
English. The CHAT manual <http://childes.talkbank.org/manuals/CHAT.pdf>
provides definitions and examples for common codes (Table 45 p.114, and
Table 50 p.118) but omits many less common codes, and the article linked at
the top of the MOR grammars page <http://childes.talkbank.org/morgrams/> is
helpful in terms of understanding how MOR works but does not define the MOR
codes themselves except as examples. I have also examined the English mor
files, as Leonid
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/chibolts/mLxcw2qyPpk/bvVDqGl974oJ> and
Brian <https://groups.google.com/d/msg/chibolts/zAevVn1HUoU/v4sFNHUtBAAJ>
have recommended, and while this yields a (nearly) complete list of the
codes, I couldn't find anything like definitions of each. Many are obvious
(n is noun, v is verb, det is determiner) but I'd like to be able to check
a few (e.g. n:pt, meta, bq, cm).
Thanks in advance for your help, and for maintaining this fantastic
resource!
Cheers,
Rose