combining output to excel

Brian Verdine brian.verdine at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 14:33:54 UTC 2016

Hi Leonid,

My responses are in line below.

Thanks!
Brian

On Monday, February 29, 2016 at 4:40:50 PM UTC-5, Spektor, Leonid: CMU
wrote:

> Brian.
>
>     I can't answer your question 1). I have created my own batch file and
> when I ran it I did not get any error messages.  I ran it on both Mac and
> Windows 8.1 PC. If you could email me directly some *.cha files you use as
> input and the CutFileAllCodes.cut file, then I will have better chance of
> replicating the problem.
>
> I will send some immediately after posting.  As I said, the commands work
when I plug them individually into the command window.  Seems weird that it
could be either my chat files or the cut file, but anything is possible I
suppose... I assumed maybe there was something wrong with the formatting of
the batch file or the way I called it (I literally type in "batch
BatchCommands.cex" into the command window).  Nonetheless, this is a
problem I would definitely like to figure out.

> 2).  When FREQ creates a SPREADSHEET it does not append data to existing
> output files and certainly it can't add it to the end of each row of each
> input file's output. Your output consists of only four Excel files, so it
> should be easy to append each consecutive FREQ file to the right of the
> previous FREQ file's output by hand using Excel application.

My output from the example commands I posted is only 4 spreadsheets, but I
will be running these commands with at least 7 groups of words (so 28+
spreadsheets) and inevitably there will be other groups of words/codes we
will want to export.  This still isn't a *huge* problem, but if clan had a
way to automatically combine them I wanted to make sure I was doing the
easiest thing.

> All rows for each FREQ command's output Excel file should align
> automatically since, every input file will have exactly one corresponding
> row in Excel file and every FREQ command will have exactly the same number
> of rows. You said that some of your input CHAT files do not have Toy/IPA
> speaker, but this can be fixed by creating @ID header for Toy speaker in
> all files and in files that currently do not have any Toy transcription you
> would just create a one dummy tier for that speaker. For example, if "Toy"
> speaker code is "IPA", that just add one dummy tier "*IPA:    0." to files
> that do not have IPA speakers now.  Otherwise, FREQ does not create output
> for files that do not have speakers specified on command line.

Adding an IPA line should drastically help with combining them and, in
fact, should make it really easy to write a copy/paste macro for the excel
files that will do it in a few seconds.  Since I created the chat files
from excel files to begin with, they actually all already have the @ID
header for toy.  Just need to add the one dummy line.  Thanks for the idea.
 I think this will take care of my biggest problem.

> The other problem I see you have is command:
>
> Freq +d5 +d2 +t at ID=”*|Target_Adult|*” +t at ID=”*|Toy|*” +o3
> +s at CutFileAllCodes.cut +fPARIPA_AllCodes *.cha
>
> This command will produce two rows in Excel for every input file that has
> both "Target_Adult” and "Toy". If you want FREQ to combine results of those
> two speakers into one row, then add +o3 option to the FREQ command line.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but the +o3 is after "Toy" in the command and
seems to be combining just fine when I copy/paste the command by itself
into the command window.

> If I misunderstood what you are trying to accomplish, then please give me
> directly a more specific description and some examples would help a lot too.

I think you mostly interpreted correctly. If I can get the batch running
issue fixed I think I'll be back in business.