reformatting file names

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Wed Aug 9 18:10:11 UTC 2017

Dear ChiBolts,
  In order to provide a bit more clarity regarding the longitudinal range of CHILDES files, we are working now to rename files in the longitudinal corpora in the CHILDES database to reflect the child’s age.  The format we are using has six numbers in the YYMMDD form.  So, a filename of 030812.cha means that the child is 3;8.12.  We are only using these six numbers and not the child’s name, because the child’s name is usually found in the folder name.  Of course, all of this information is also available in the @ID lines in the transcripts themselves.  Sometimes a few extra letters are needed such as 030812a.cha and 030812b.cha when there are two recordings for a given day.  The renaming process also involves renaming the media to reflect ages and changing the @Media line in the files so that transcript file names match media file names.
  Once this is done, I think the age-range coverage of longitudinal corpora will be clearer.

  Best,

  --Brian MacWhinney