recent CHILDES additions

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Fri Jan 13 14:08:16 UTC 2017

Dear Colleagues,
     I would like to call you attention to a variety of recent additions and improvements to the CHILDES system.
1.  Davida Fromm has produced a series of tutorial screencasts that can help people learn the basics of CHAT transcription and analysis through the CLAN programs.  They are at http://talkbank.org/videos/ People with low bandwidth connections will probably find the YouTube versions easier to play.
2.  I recently completed morphological analysis of the OreaPine Spanish corpus.  We have also tagged most of the French corpora and the Leo German corpus.  There are ongoing improvements for the taggers in Spanish, German, Dutch, and Mandarin.
3.  You may have noticed the new system of providing access to corpora through a web page for each corpus.  This system gives you direct links to media, transcripts, and the browsable database.  It includes photos and contact information from contributors, citations, project descriptions, and a DOI for each corpus.
4.  We have been gathering up and digitizing the audio or video recordings for several corpora.  As a result of this effort we have acquired additional media for 8 corpora and we expect to receive another 9.
5.  In November, the FluencyBank Project, co-directed by Nan Bernstein Ratner had an organizational meeting at ASHA.  Materials for the study of childhood disfluency are now coming in to this new database.
6.  There are now new versions of the CHAT and CLAN manual.  I have now broken out the section of the CLAN manual that deals with the MOR program into a third part of the manual series.
7.  The CLAN program has been undergoing continual elaboration, so we always recommend getting a fresh versions when you can.

Best regards,

-- Brian MacWhinney