fluency coding (repeated segments)

Leonid Spektor spektor at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Nov 30 15:55:06 UTC 2017

Daniella,

The reason you get a box is because you have not selected the font for the document in CALN that can display this character. Normally CVLAN can select the right font, but it is possible that your computer is missing the few fonts that CLAN prefers or something else has failed. On PC you need to select either "Arial Unicode MS" or "Arial" font. On Mac CLAN prefers "Arial Unicode MS" font. If you have installed MS Word, then this font should have been installed as well. If it is missing, then try "Lucida Sans Unicode" font.

As for &+ or &- I will leave this to someone else more qualified to answer. The table in section "13 Disfluency Transcription" in CHAT manual that you have already seen give examples of "phonological fragment" &+... and "filled pause" &-...

Leonid.