how to use the cut file to include and exclude words with freq

Janet Bang jbang at stanford.edu
Fri Dec 14 00:40:31 UTC 2018

Hello,

We have questions about how to use cut files with freq.

We have a list of words we want to exclude from our freq count, and other times include in our freq count.

When we exclude, our command is the following below. With this command we would like a count of lemmas on the %mor line, excluding utterances with the english precode, and excluding a list of additional english words in our cut file. This code appears to work fine on our test files.

freq +f +u +o3 +sm;*,o% -s”[- eng]” -s at english.cut @

english.cut file set up:

co|please

co|thank_you

However, in another command we would like to get a freq count on lemmas for only those utterances with [- eng]  AND including the same words in the cut file (This would give us a count of all english words in the file, those in english-only utterances and single words). We've tried the following command, but this only provides lemmas on the [- eng] lines and does not include the words in the cut file.

freq +f +u +o3 +sm;*,o% +s”[- eng]” +s at english.cut @

Does the command or cut file need to written differently if I want to now include those words in my freq count? We know that another option could be to tag all the words in the cut file with an @s and use the following command below, but we were trying out other possibilities.

freq +u +o3 +f +l +s*@s:eng @

Thank you in advance,

Janet

--