conversational turns in CLAN?

Janet Bang jbang at stanford.edu
Fri Dec 21 01:34:50 UTC 2018

Hello,

We are trying to see if there's a way to automate a count of turns between a child and an adult within a transcript. We saw that with CHIP, we can get the number of responses to a child's utterance, but this value counts multiple utterances as separate responses, rather than one turn.

For example, for the following interaction we would count 5 turns:

MOT-CHI

CHI-MOT (MOT has 4 utterances, but count as 1 turn)

MOT (same MOT as one above)-CHI

CHI-MOT

MOT-CHI

*MOT: come here !
*CHI: xxx .
*MOT: come here let's sing the A_B_C_s at s .
*MOT: ready ?
*MOT: a at l b at l c at l d at l .
*MOT: you don't want to sing ?
*CHI: no .
*MOT: are you sure ?
*CHI: no .

Is there some way to combine MLT and CHIP to get a value that represents turns as above? If that is too difficult, we could also go without the responses serving as the initiation of the next turn, meaning that the this would be 3 turns as in:

MOT-CHI

MOT(1 turn, 4 utterances)-CHI

MOT-CHI

Apologies if I've missed this in another function,

Janet

--

Janet Y. Bang, Ph.D.

Postdoctoral Fellow