Using COMBO to find context

Ian Cook ikcook at umich.edu
Sun Feb 4 13:13:01 UTC 2018

Hi all, let me start of by saying that I am a fairly new user of CLAN, so
bear with me.

We're doing an analysis of where hesitation phenomena are produced in a set
of transcripts. We hope to use COMBO to look at the context of the
hesitations in the utterance, but have a few questions about its use.

1) Is it possible to use COMBO (or another command) to tell us the most
frequent context of a particular search item? For example, could I use CLAN
to tell me what the most common productions would be before and after a
filled pause (coded &um, etc. in our data)?

2) Can we use the COMBO command to analyze both the main speech tier and
the morphological tier of the CHAT file at once? We would like to run
searches using a combination of search terms from different tiers. For
example, looking for any verb (coded on the %mor tier) appearing before a
filled pause (which we have coded on the main tier).

Thank you for the help!