Output COMBO results to an Excel file

Nick Riches nick.riches at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 06:54:16 UTC 2018

Hi

I've just written an R script which will do this. The output of the 'combo'
command should be saved as a text file. The script reads this interactively
using the 'scan' function. The tidyverse needs to be loaded (dplyr commands
are used)

Here's the script:

# Read in data interactively. File should be a text file.

options(stringsAsFactors = FALSE)

script <- scan(file.choose(), what = "string", sep = "\n")

df <- as.data.frame(script)

# Create variable for type of line, e.g. "utt" = UTTERANCE, "mor" = MOR

df$type <- ""

# Function for identifying 'mor' line (by searching for downpipes)

has_downpipe <- function(string){
  return(grepl("[\x7C]" , string))
}

library(tidyverse)

# Create variable showing line type (e.g. is it the 'mor' tier?)

for(i in 1:nrow(df)){
  if(substr(df$script[i], 1, 8) == "*** File"){df$type[i] <- "file"}
  if((substr(df$script[i], 1, 1) == "*") &
    (substr(df$script[i], 5, 5) == ":")){df$type[i] <- "utt"}
  if(has_downpipe(df$script[i])){df$type[i] <- "mor"}
}

# Fill down 'utt' (utterance over more than one line)

for(i in 2:nrow(df)){
  if(df$type[i] == "" & df$type[i - 1] == "utt"){df$type[i] == "utt"}
}

# Remove non-essential lines and rename rows

df <- df[which(df$type != ""),]
row.names(df) <- seq(1, nrow(df))

# Create variable for filename

df$file <- ""

for(i in 1:nrow(df)){
  if(df$type[i] == "file"){
    vector <- unlist(gregexpr("[\x22]", df$script[i]))
    start <- vector[1] + 1
    stop <- vector[2] - 1
    df$file[i] <- substr(df$script[i], start, stop)
  }
}

# Create variables of utterance and mor line

df$utt <- ""
df$mor <- ""

file_row <- 1

for(i in 1:nrow(df)){
  if(df$type[i] == "file"){file_row <- i}
  if(df$type[i] == "utt"){df$utt[file_row] <- paste(df$utt[file_row],
df$script[i])}
  if(df$type[i] == "mor"){df$mor[file_row] <- paste(df$mor[file_row],
df$script[i])}
}

# Remove blank lines and rename rows

df <- df[which(df$file != ""),]