PREPOST

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Fri Sep 21 16:15:40 UTC 2018

Jimmy,
    Good question.  PREPOST rules require exact match.  So, if something is ambiguous, you have to enter it as ambiguous in the rule.  If it is not ambiguous, it has to be entered as a single form in the rule.  Often, this might mean that you would create two rules -- one for the ambiguous case and one for the unambiguous case.  There is a small number of typical ambiguities in English.  They are mostly adj vs adv, cop vs aux, adj vs noun, and noun vs. verb.  However, a few words like "back" have lots of alternative readings.  So, sometimes these rules will cover virtually everything and sometimes they can't easily cover all things.

--Brian