dist headers

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Thu Jan 3 22:23:09 UTC 2019

Dear Brielle,
    I added the following information to the CLAN Manual section on DIST
--Brian MacWhinney

   You can also use DIST to search for distances between words in the main line.  For example, when looking for the word frog in CHILDES/Frogs/WolfHemp/08/01w8.cha, you would use this command:

dist +sfrog +g 01w8.cha

and you would get this result:

>From file <01w8.cha>

There were 59 turns.

                 Occurrence   First    Last        Average

Word                  Count   Occurs   Occurs      Distance

frog                     8       30       51         2.6250

Note that the information about where the word first occurs, last occurs, and the distance between occurrences is given in terms of turns, not line numbers.