Walker controller problems

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Sun Jan 20 17:56:42 UTC 2019

Dear Lise,
    There are several ways to transcribe with media linkage.  In chapter 5 of the manual, we describe five methods:
1.  Sonic Mode  (section 5.1)
2.  Transcriber Mode (section 5.2)
3.  Sparse annotation (section 5.2.3)4
4.  Walker Controller  (section 5.4)
5.  Exporting to a Partitur editor (section 5.5)
6.  Manual editing (section 5.8)

For basic alignment and transcription, we mostly only use #2 and #4.  We probably should distinguish two flavors of methods #2.  If you stay within method #2, you can proceed as you have by transcribing and then you can go back and add the time marks just using F5 for each main line.

I wouldn't recommend mixing methods #2 and #4, although it may work.  In your case, why don't you just decide which method to use from the start.  If you want to continue with method #2, then you go back to the fix utterance and use transcriber mode with F5 to insert bullets for each line after it finishes by hitting the space bar.

I may get around to rearranging the material in Chapter 5 to make this clearer, but all the information is there.

Alternatively, we might be able to help you more directly with what you are doing, but I think we might need screen sharing for that.

Best,

-- Brian MacWhinney, Teresa Heinz Professor of Cognitive Psychology, CMU