0 before the word

Brian MacWhinney macw at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Jul 1 14:50:02 UTC 2019

Dear Jong Eun,

   That error message is designed to help people understand that the parentheses are only to be used for indicating the omission of parts of words, as in the forms (be)cause or swimmin(g).  If you want to represent the full omission of a word, then you should use the 0word notation, as in 0det for the omission of a determiner.  Both of these conventions are describes in section 8.5 of the CHAT manual.  The form (laughs) is not something that we ever supported.  Perhaps you got the idea of using parens around things like this from some form of CA notation.  However, in CA, parens can be used for 5 different purposes.  In any case, if you want to note that a laugh occurs at a particular point, then the code is &=laughs, as described in section 9.10.1 of the CHAT manual.

-- Brian MacWhinney, Teresa Heinz Professor of Cognitive Psychology, Computational Linguistics, and Modern Languages, CMU