%gra and %mor tiers

Simge Topaloglu sit591 at g.harvard.edu
Tue Jul 23 23:37:12 UTC 2019

Hello,

I am trying to extract instances where the conjunction 'and' connects
elements of the same syntactic category that form a constituent together,
e.g., complex subjects like "John and Mary" as in "John and Mary like
apples" or complex objects as in "John likes apples and pears" or - though
I know this is presumably trickier - VPs as in "John likes apples and hates
pears."

The first code I tried for an *approximation *of what I wanted was combo
+d7 +sg|SUBJ^g|CONJ^g|COORD +t%mor +t%gra.

This found all subjects immediately followed by a conjunction immediately
followed by the element that was conjoined with this subject. But as you
will notice, there are things this code doesn't get. For example, I am only
interested in *and*, but this code finds other conjunctions like *or* as
well. I tried to incorporate this information into the code using the %mor
tier (*coord|and*), but I think I made a mistake because I got a blank
output. Also, while I can make this code work for subjects and objects, I
don't know how I will extract cases of VP-level conjunction, because the
heads of the conjoined phrases (the verbs) will not necessarily be
adjacent.

Any help for solving these problems would be much appreciated.

Thank you so much,

Simge