acronyms

Brian MacWhinney macw at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Mar 14 17:55:31 UTC 2019

Dear ChiBolts,

Until today, CHAT disallowed capital letters inside words except for the first letter.  So, instead of writing USA, one had to write U_S_A. In both cases, because the forms began with a capital letter they were tagged as proper nouns in all European languages, except for German.

 We have now removed this limitation and reformatted the database to remove all the unnecessary underscores.  So, going forward, feel free to transcribe using forms such as IBM, USC, or FBI.  However, common nouns do not receive the capitals at all.  So, for those we use forms like t_v, c_d, and v_c_r.

--Brian MacWhinney