changes

Brian MacWhinney macw at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon May 6 00:50:30 UTC 2019

Dear CHIBolts,

We have recently changed two things in the database.  Both involve interactions with the programs and MOR.  These changes

The first was the handling of quotes by MOR.  We have found that the addition of the bq|BQ and eq|EQ to the %mor line actually decreased accuracy both for %mor and %gra.  So, we are no longer entering these codes on the %mor line, and I revised the entire TalkBank database in accord with this. This change would only really be important to people who are currently using MOR on new data.  These people should get a new copy of CLAN and their MOR grammar to make sure it works in this newer way.

The second thing I changed was the handling of omitted words.  According to the manual, omitted words are supposed to be indicated with a zero, as in 0my.  The manual says that parens are only supposed to be used for marking omissions of parts of words as in (be)cause, not for whole words. Unfortunately, CHECK was not flagging this error.  As a result, people were misusing this convention in a wide variety of ways. For example, they would write (laughing) when it should be &=laughs or (inaudible) for xxx and so on.  Then these forms, such as "inaudible" were going into the %mor line and the %gra, despite the fact that they were not things that the participants had said.  People even used this form to mark retracing and comments.  I worked several days to fix all of this in the database.  Now, CHECK will complain if you try to surround a whole word with parens.  Using parens to mark the omission of parts of words as in (be)cause is still fine.

Best,

-- Brian MacWhinney