scoping of a clause delimiter

Brian MacWhinney macw at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed May 8 14:01:51 UTC 2019

Dear Monika,
    I am not familiar with work that calculates MLU based on clauses and I am not sure why one would want to use such a measure.  The major point of MLU is to consider the extent to which speakers compose more complex sentences and the act of breaking up sentences into clauses would actually remove the thing that it is trying to measure.
   As you say, this system of clause marking is definitely not going to work well for center embedding.  You could get the scope of the embedded clause, but then the main clause would be broken up.  But perhaps that is interesting in itself.
    I am curious why you are using this type of analysis.  What exactly are you interested in measuring.  It seems to me that, if you have a relatively accurate %gra line for an utterance, then that could be more useful that hand-done clause marking.

--Brian MacWhinney