How to mark code switching in CLAN and pass CHECK and MOR

Brian MacWhinney macw at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Nov 12 17:51:14 UTC 2019

Ning,
    The CHAT system for marking code-switching is described in section 16.1 of the CHAT manual.  The case you cite is barely a case of code-switching, so it is just marked on the word itself.  In this case, you would transcribe:

*CHI:    y el mico encima de la zebra at s:eng .

If you had
@Languages:    spa, eng
then you would only need

*CHI:    y el mico encima de la zebra at s.

If you care about the part of speech for zebra, you can have:

*CHI:    y el mico encima de la zebra at s$n.

-- Brian MacWhinney
Teresa Heinz Professor of Cognitive Psychology,
Computational Linguistics,
and Modern Languages, CMU