phrasal verbs

Janet Y Bang jbang at stanford.edu
Mon Apr 20 18:27:30 UTC 2020

Hello,

We have a question about linkages/compounds. We have been transcribing samples of LENA recordings in English (caregiver-child interactions with 2-year-old children) and we have compiled a list now of different phrasal verbs in transcripts. We defined phrasal verbs as units of "verb + adverb or preposition" where the meaning is attributed to the unit more than the meaning of each individual word.

Our main interests for now are to collect measures of tokens, types (lemma), and MLUw (not morphemes) of caregiver and child speech. Determining the linkages are important for our measure of types, since we will be collapsing across word families with the lemmas.

I noticed in the English MOR the n+v+prep.cut file has some phrasal verbs (e.g., dress up), but I wanted to check if there was some school of thought on how they should be treated? There are always situational issues we've come across with these. For example, in the case of particle verbs, sometimes these are transitive, so we weren't sure on how these should/would be transcribed (e.g., clean up your toys vs. clean that up). Also, it's not always clear from the usage if it is following our definition of "meaning is attributed to the unit more than the meaning of each individual word".

We were thinking of the following solutions:
1. Link all phrasal verbs only when the key words are combined next to each other (e.g., clean up)
2. Link all phrasal verbs. In the case of transitive particle verbs, link those variations as well and count these all towards their respective 'particle verb family' (e.g., "clean that up" would be counted towards a type of "clean up")
3. Do not link any phrasal verbs (e.g., for "clean up", this would separated into the type "clean" and the type "up").

ate_up
back_up
calm_down
catch_up