Counting types of clauses

Brian MacWhinney macw at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Jan 10 17:19:03 UTC 2020

Dear Brielle,
     When it comes to syntactic structure, you really want to refer to the MOR manual, as well as the CLAN manual.  You would only need the CLAN manual to understand how to run KWAL or COMBO searches.  In terms of understanding grammatical relations on the %gra line, you would want to look into chapters 10 and 11 of  the MOR manual.  For example, you will find in section 11.15 that CMOD and XMOD mark the heads of relative clauses. In section 11.14, you will find that CJCT and XJCT mark adverbial clauses.  Independent clauses are ones that have a verb marked as ROOT.  Nominal clauses are relatives whose head functions as SUBJ.

-- Brian MacWhinney
Teresa Heinz Professor of Cognitive Psychology,
Computational Linguistics,
and Modern Languages, CMU