+xCN switch in KWAL

jgar...@umd.edu jgarbari at umd.edu
Thu Jul 23 17:24:06 UTC 2020

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone could clarify how the +xCN switch in KWAL works.
I was wondering if I could use this switch to produce only utterances with
a certain morpheme length.

 It says under KWAL, in the manual and when I type kwal into the commands
window:

+xCN: include only utterances which are C (>, <, =) than N items (w, c, m),
"+x=0w" for zero words

I can't find a definition of what "w, c, m" means, but if the +x=0w is for
0 words, then I thought maybe +x=1m could get me all of the 1 morpheme
utterances, etc. However, when I run +x=1m it gives me all 1-word, not
1-morpheme utterances. (The output for +x=1m and +x=1w are exactly the
same.)

Is the "m" here supposed to be for morphemes? I can't seem to locate a
definition. I do see that under TTR, it says "The only new element in this
command is +sm;*o%. The +s option tells FREQ to search for and count
certain strings. The m tells the program to look at the %mor line. The
semicolon says to look at the stem and then the *,o% says to ignore
everything else."

Thank you.

Julianne Garbarino