+xCN switch in KWAL

Julianne Garbarino jgarbari at umd.edu
Thu Jul 23 23:40:29 UTC 2020

Dear Leonid,
Thank you so much. This switch is very helpful for my project and will
allow me to work around not being able to produce a spreadsheet with the
MLU of each utterance, as I was trying to do a couple of days ago.

I've just downloaded the new version of CLAN for Mac and am using it with
Mojave. With a relatively short test file, I am still having one slight
problem. When I run kwal +d4 +t*CHI +x=1m, some 1-morpheme utterances are
not appearing in the results. These are one-word/one-morpheme utterances
that just say "yeah." They are appearing when I run kwal +d4 +t*CHI +x=1w.
Other one-word/one-morpheme utterances coded as "co" (e.g., "okay") are
coming up in the list of one-morpheme utterances I get when I run "kwal +d4
+t*CHI +x=1m".

Please let me know what I can do. I can send you this test file directly if
that would be best.

Thank you!

Julianne Garbarino

On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 4:07 PM Leonid Spektor <spektor at andrew.cmu.edu>
wrote:

> Julianne,
>
> You interpreted the +xCN option correctly, the 'm' does stand for
> morphemes. I have changed KWAL usage to make more clear. The other
> consideration is that the 'm' option will only work correctly if you have
> +%mor: tiers in your data files. Last this is that there was a problem with
> the way KWAL was counting morphemes on %mor tier and as the result it might
> have missed some utterances in the output.
>
> I have fixed this and if you get new program from dali.talkbank.org/clan/,
> then the "+x=1m" and "+x=1w" options will produce different results, assume
> that speaker does actually use multi-morphemes words.
>
> FREQ's "+sm;*,o%" option will interfere with "+xCN" option. If you want to
> use FREQ with "+sm;*,o%" option, then you should first use KWAL with "+x=1m
> +d +f" options, for example, and then run FREQ with "+sm;*o%" option on the
> output of KWAL.
>
> Leonid.
>
> On Jul 23, 2020, at 13:24, jgar... at umd.edu <jgarbari at umd.edu> wrote:
>
> Hello,
> I was wondering if anyone could clarify how the +xCN switch in KWAL works.
> I was wondering if I could use this switch to produce only utterances with
> a certain morpheme length.
>
>  It says under KWAL, in the manual and when I type kwal into the commands
> window:
>
> +xCN: include only utterances which are C (>, <, =) than N items (w, c,
> m), "+x=0w" for zero words
>
> I can't find a definition of what "w, c, m" means, but if the +x=0w is for
> 0 words, then I thought maybe +x=1m could get me all of the 1 morpheme
> utterances, etc. However, when I run +x=1m it gives me all 1-word, not
> 1-morpheme utterances. (The output for +x=1m and +x=1w are exactly the
> same.)
>
> Is the "m" here supposed to be for morphemes? I can't seem to locate a
> definition. I do see that under TTR, it says "The only new element in this
> command is +sm;*o%. The +s option tells FREQ to search for and count
> certain strings. The m tells the program to look at the %mor line. The
> semicolon says to look at the stem and then the *,o% says to ignore
> everything else."
>
> Thank you.
>
> Julianne Garbarino

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/chibolts/636e0c0d-369b-4a99-943d-a094e8c94e22n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/chibolts/636e0c0d-369b-4a99-943d-a094e8c94e22n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/chibolts/7D85A781-1227-4157-9AE1-A70AC071B61F%40andrew.cmu.edu
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/chibolts/7D85A781-1227-4157-9AE1-A70AC071B61F%40andrew.cmu.edu?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>

*Julianne Garbarino*, MS, CCC-SLP
PhD Candidate, Dept. of Hearing and Speech Sciences