RELY

Karin Edlund karin.eva.edlund at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 10:34:14 UTC 2020

Hi Brian,
Thank you for your input on the RELY function.
What I would like to do is the following:

1) Check reliability on percentage agreement for word and utterance level
on each of 15 transcriptions comprising 5 min each.
I was thinking of using the third function of RELY - the overall match on
the main line between two transcripts - rely +d sample.cha samplea.cha
This would be only to check the transcription, not the coding.
I would say the two transcribers are on the same level regarding
transcribing, thus perhaps it is not a case of checking correctness of a
student against a master transcript.
Or is the relation master-student more at matter of what data counts as the
primary data?

2) Compute Cohen's kappa for the coding. Two coders. I have five different
categories for coding. I am not using %spa, but %cod.
Would this be the right code for that:
rely +d5 sample.cha samplea.cha +t%cod

what does dm1 stand for in the RELY code you suggested?

Perhaps I am mixing things up, but overall I am trying to check percentage
agreement for word and utterance level in the transcriptions between two
transcribers and secondly I am computing cohen's kappa for the coding.
Seeking for the best RELY function and its respective code to do this.

Best Regards,
Karin Edlund