underscore

Cathy Eaton cathyeaton12 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 15:58:11 UTC 2020

Hello again,

Thank you for your responses about my student's downloading difficulties.
She is now up and running.

I have a new issue to ask about. I am searching large numbers of items in
specified categories by using .cut files. My concern is that CLAN can't
find items like "out of nowhere" if I don't specify them as
"out_of_nowhere" in the .cut file. I have played around with these items
and it seems like the answer is no, CLAN won't recognize them if the
underscore isn't included in the search.

So, my next question is where I can find a list of items that use the
underscore. There are certain items like "in order to" that I have found to
be transcribed both ways ("in order to" and "in_order_to"), in which case I
am happy to put both forms in the file if necessary. Is there a
comprehensive list of these items you can direct me to so that I don't miss
any of these items? The CHAT manual addresses the use of underscore, but
doesn't seem to include a list.

Thank you yet again,
Cathy