Coding unintelligible language

Elnaz Kia ek325 at nau.edu
Thu Apr 22 22:50:35 UTC 2021

Hi everyone,

I have a question about coding unintelligible language with xxx. Here is my
understanding based on the 2020 CHAT instruction manual (MacWhinney, 2020):

- If a complete utterance is fully unintelligible, I should mark the
utterance with xxx.
- If I am able to tell the number of words that are unintelligible, then I
should use that many strings of xxx. For instance, if the utterance is “I
am a teacher” and I can only get the “I am” part, but I hear 2 other words
that are unintelligible, then I should code the sentence like this:
“I am xxx xxx.”
- I can use as many xxx strings as I want for the number of words that are
unintelligible.

Would you confirm my understandings?

Thank you,
Elnaz

Elnaz Kia, Ph.D. (she, her, hers)

*Post-Doctoral Research Associate
<https://l2trec.utah.edu/about/staff-directory.php>*

Second Language Teaching and Research Center (L2TReC)
<https://l2trec.utah.edu/>

University of Utah

LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/elnaz-kia?lipi=urn%3Ali%3Apage%3Ad_flagship3_profile_view_base_contact_details%3B%2FResGVF2SMGMAxhocdPnRw%3D%3D>