Questions about the SILENCE command

Elnaz Kia ek325 at nau.edu
Thu Jul 22 04:07:18 UTC 2021

Dear all,

I am developing a multilingual corpus of L2 speech and I am trying to use
the SILENCE command to anonymize the identifiable information in the audio
files. I only found one similar question in this group from 2012, which
already helped me a lot. However, I have 3 more questions/issues (two are
somewhat related):

I am using the following command line to silence the segment in the
transcription with the word NAME.
silence +sNAME f0078c07raa_1.cha

This creates a file named, *f0078c07raa_1-silent.aif* in which every
utterance including NAME is silenced.
*Question 1: *My problem is that I want to only silence the name
(identifiable information) and not the rest of the utterance (marked with
red in the following example). *Is there a way to do that?*
*F0078: bonjour NAME .
*F0078: je m' appelle NAME .

*Question 2:* is it possible to use SILENCE with .cha files that have not
been bulleted?
*Question 3: *Is it possible to automatically add bullets to multiple .cha
files?

I would appreciate any tips.

Thanks,
Elnaz