Issues with CLANc

Elnaz Kia ek325 at nau.edu
Thu Jul 29 22:54:04 UTC 2021

Hi all,

One of my research assistants (also cced here) who transcribes the Chinese
portion of our corpus has the following issues with CLANc. He owns a
MacBook (macOS Mojave Version 10.14.6) and works with the latest version of
CLANc. I would appreciate any comments or suggestions to fix the following
issues.

*1*. *Linking Issue:*  Many of the .cha files do not link with the audio
files. He has tried F5 and sonic mode and here is the error that he gets
for each:

The F5 mode showed “*Can't locate media filename*” and the sonic mode
showed '*Can't locate media file or recognize media format*”. (screenshots
attached)

*I tried the file on windows and it works fine.
*2*. The transcriber had to change the gender from male or female to
unknown due to confidentiality reasons. I recommended running the following
commands.

chstring +re +1 +w +x +t@ +s"|male|" "||" *.cha

chstring +re +1 +w +x +t@ +s"|female|" "||" *.cha

"After I run the following commands to remove the gender information from
the .cha files, it will show some additional information that I need to
remove manually. "

"The example of additional information listed below:"

@UTF8 at Window: 176_548_467_685_-1_-1_210_0_210_0
@Begin at Languages: zho
@Participants: c0002 IDc0002 Student
@ID: zho|corpus|c0002|0;00.00||||Student|||
@Media: c0002cadr01_1, audio
@Transcriber: Xiqiang Wang
@Comment: hum, ahn, ah, eh signal hesitation
@Situation: unspecified
*c0002: eh (..). •0_18941•
*c0002: wo3 (..). •18941_24567•
*c0002: eh . •24567_26456•
@End

I tried running the commands on the problematic files and got the same
result on CLAN windows. Do you know what the problem might be and how I
could fix it?

I was able to remove the first extra line with the following command, but I
couldn't add a return after @Begin.

chstring +re +w +1 +t@ +s"\@UTF*" "" *.cha
Thanks,
Elnaz

Elnaz Kia, Ph.D. (she, her, hers)

*Post-Doctoral Research Associate
<https://l2trec.utah.edu/about/staff-directory.php>*

Second Language Teaching and Research Center (L2TReC)
<https://l2trec.utah.edu/>

University of Utah

LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/elnaz-kia?lipi=urn%3Ali%3Apage%3Ad_flagship3_profile_view_base_contact_details%3B%2FResGVF2SMGMAxhocdPnRw%3D%3D>