freq with modal verbs in Spanish

Macarena Quiroga macarenasolquiroga at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 12:00:05 UTC 2021

Hi everyone,
I want to run a freq analysis to count verb types and tokens, but I need to
exclude those cases when the verb is a part of a periphrasis (for example:
"debo salir" o "tengo que salir", which translates to "I must leave" or "I
have to leave"). In those cases, I want to count the infinitive as a verb
(salir), and don't count the modal verb (debo, tengo que). MOR doesn't seem
to recognize modal verbs in Spanish and I wasn't able to create a v-mod.cut
file by hand.
A colleague suggested I use combo to find verb+verb or verb+preposition
combinations, and then modify their respectives mor lines by hand, but I
was wondering if you knew a way to automatize this, because it's a very big
corpus.
Thank you so much for your time.

--
Macarena Sol Quiroga
Lic. y Prof. en Enseñanza Media y Superior en Letras (UBA)