CLANc install problem

Brian Macwhinney macw at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Mar 15 19:40:21 UTC 2021

Dear Ludovica,

     Apple forces one to go through a lot of red tape that makes it really difficult for software developers to continually register each new version of a program. For CLAN, we think it is important to fix bugs as soon as they are reported and people are also often requesting new features and we don’t want to wait six months to give them a version that would work for them.  So, when Leonid posts a new version of CLANc, he doesn’t go through all this red tape.  The result is that Apple then says the software is not from a trusted developer, even though we pay our Apple Developer fee and follow all the guidelines.
   The bottom line is that you should ignore this for CLANc.  On the page from which you downloaded CLANc, it says, "When installing for the first time, you will get a warning about "malicious" software. Then you need to go to the Security panel in System Preferences and allow installation.”
    So, that is what you should do.
    Note that I am not suggesting that you ignore the Apple message in general, but certainly you should for CLANc.  At some point in the future, we may create a version that has all the Apple-approved watermarks, but that version will not be one that is continually updated.

Best,

—Brian