question about fillers and communicators in bilingual transcription

Shanley Allen allen at rhrk.uni-kl.de
Tue May 11 16:39:14 UTC 2021

It’s probably an empirical question whether these interactional forms are code mixes or whether they should be consiered Spanish words or whether they’re somewhere on a continuum between English and Spanish. And the “real” answer may be different for each word and each speaker. So one approach would be to code them all in the same way and then to see how they’re distributed. In other words, make your decision as part of the analysis rather than as part of the coding.
Best,
Shanley Allen.