Measuring lexical diversity

Karin Edlund karin.eva.edlund at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 10:23:57 UTC 2022

Hi,

I am exploring teacher-child interactions in which a teacher is
having small group conversations with about 6 children in each group. Each
group is observed at five time points. The observations range from about
7-19 minutes.
I am measuring the children's expressive language in total number of
words/min, MLU, and VOCD.

I am wondering about the VOCD measure. Some of the children do not produce
50 tokens, and therefore VOCD cannot be calculated for these children.
Is there a way of measuring lexical diversity in another way?
I know that TTR is problematic due to differences in speech sample length,
which is indeed the case in my study.
Can number of different words in a rate per minute be an alternative?

I am thankful for ideas and support.

Best Regards,
Karin Edlund, Ph.D student, Sweden