CLAN SUGAR analysis

Brian Macwhinney macw at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Mar 31 01:56:03 UTC 2022

Dear Amy,
     We configured CLAN’s SUGAR program in accord with the sample text in Pavelko & Owens 2017.  For that sample, CLAN ends up with the same numbers as SUGAR.  Because the CLAN method runs the text through MOR, it pulls out all the derivational morphemes mentioned in Table 3 of that article, along with some more.  It is possible that the -sion and -tion suffixes noted in that table could occasionally be “missed:.  For example, CLAN would not analyze “mission” as having the -sion suffix.  A mission is not somethat that you miss.
     I’ve added a paragraph at the end of the material in the manual on SUGAR to point to the two screencast tutorials at https://talkbank.org/screencasts/ that could help you see what is involved.  This is what I added:

> There are two tutorial screencasts on the web at https://talkbank.org/screencasts/ that describe two different ways of preparing a file for SUGAR analysis in CLAN. The first screencast assumes that you have created a file using the SUGAR methodology in MS-Word. In that case, you save your transcripts as text only and then use CLAN's TEXT2CHAT program to create a CHAT file. The second screencast assumes that you have created the file from the beginning using the CLAN editor. In both cases, you end up with a CHAT file which you run through MOR and then SUGAR to automatically produce spreadsheet output.

— Brian MacWhinney