can FREQ create counts for combos of codes on same tier?

Michelle Barton mbarton at ncf.edu
Mon Nov 7 21:57:49 UTC 2022

Hi Leonid,

I have run the +c7 code you suggested, and it has worked to expand the
wildcards as below:

> freq +t*CHI +t%xqif  +s"$Info:*:* $FXN*" +c7 anctestv3.cha
freq +t*CHI +t%xqif +s"$Info:*:* $FXN*" +c7 anctestv3.cha
Mon Nov 07 16:46:31 2022
freq (07-Oct-2022) is conducting analyses on:
  ONLY dependent tiers matching: %XQIF;
>From file <ANCtestv3.cha>
Speaker: *CHI:
  1 $Info:FACT:generic $FXN:Reask
  2 $Info:FACT:specific $FXN:Build
  1 $Info:FACT:specific $FXN:Cont
  1 $Info:FACT:specific $FXN:Reask
------------------------------
    4  Total number of different item types used
    5  Total number of items (tokens)
0.800  Type/Token ratio
    This TTR number was not calculated on the basis of %mor line forms.
    If you want a TTR based on lemmas, run FREQ on the %mor line
    with option: +sm;*,o%

> BUT, this output is only giving pairs of codes that are adjacent to each
other,
and is missing to pairs where there is another code in between the two
codes I am
using.  These codes are on the dependent tiers for speaker lines 1 and 38:
$Info:EXPLANATION:specific $FXN:Start and $Info:FACT:specific $FXN:start in
the transcript I had sent in the original
email). Both of these lines have $INI codes in between the two codes I am
wanting to count.

I saw thought maybe the +c3 switch would work to catch these other codes,
but it did not work as I hoped (it read the 2 extra codes that were missing
before, but did not expand the wildcards):

freq +t*CHI +t%xqif  +s"$Info:*:* $FXN*" +c7 +c3 anctestv3.cha
freq +t*CHI +t%xqif +s"$Info:*:* $FXN*" +c7 +c3 anctestv3.cha
Mon Nov 07 16:51:49 2022
freq (07-Oct-2022) is conducting analyses on:
  ONLY dependent tiers matching: %XQIF;
>From file <ANCtestv3.cha>
Speaker: *CHI:
  7 $Info:*:* $FXN*
------------------------------
    1  Total number of different item types used
    7  Total number of items (tokens)
0.143  Type/Token ratio
    This TTR number was not calculated on the basis of %mor line forms.
    If you want a TTR based on lemmas, run FREQ on the %mor line
    with option: +sm;*,o%

> Is there a way to do both - find the codes regardless of where they are
on the tier
AND expand the wildcards?

Thank you,
Michelle

On Mon, Nov 7, 2022 at 12:28 PM Leonid Spektor <spektor at andrew.cmu.edu>
wrote:

> Michelle,
>
> If you add +c7 option to freq command with wildcards, then you will get
> the output you want.
>

> Leonid.
>
> On Nov 7, 2022, at 12:22, Michelle Barton <mbarton at ncf.edu> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I have created a set of 4 $ codes for the child speaker.  I would like to
> be able to use FREQ to get counts of all combos of two of these 4 schemes.
> I can generate the counts of each individual $ code type, and I can
> generate the counts for combos of codes IF I write out each type of code to
> count (eg, how often $Info:FACT:specific was paired with $FXN:Build), but I
> would like to be able to use wildcards to generate *all *the possible
> combinations.  I have tried several, but no success (I get 0s for counts).
>
> *Is there a way to use wildcards to generate the counts of combinations of
> codes on the dependent tier?*
>
> I have attached my tester transcript and the output from running different
> attempts to get these counts (the command lines are in the output files,
> along with my specific comments and questions as I walk through the process
> I tried).
>
> Thank you,
> Michelle

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/chibolts/956ff7a8-ee45-4ebb-9751-2a1dc3549d38n%40googlegroups.com