MLU and FREQ - words and tokens

Ailín Franco ailinpfranco at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 18:18:55 UTC 2022

Dear all,
Sorry to write to you, but I've just started to use the programm and I have
some doubts.
I am using MLU and FREQ and I saw a difference (in some cases) between the
count of the words and tokens, for example:

MLU for Speaker: *CHI:
  MLU (xxx, yyy and www are EXCLUDED from the utterance and morpheme
counts):
    Number of: utterances = 19, *words = 60*
    Ratio of words over utterances = 3.158
    Standard deviation = 2.134

   54  Total number of different item types used
*   95  Total number of items* (tokens)
0.568  Type/Token ratio
    This TTR number was not calculated on the basis of %mor line forms.
    If you want a TTR based on lemmas, run FREQ on the %mor line
    with option: +sm;*,o%

I am not calculating the numbers on %mor line, in neither of them.

I am reading the manual but I don't undertand why is a difference in the
numers of tokens and words

Thank you in advance,
Ailín