0[voc]

Brian Macwhinney macw at cmu.edu
Fri Sep 30 20:09:37 UTC 2022

Dear Olivia,
    I am guessing that you are using the code 0[voc] to represent the fact that there was no vocalization.  If that is right, then you really only need 0 by itself, as in

*CHI:	0.
%com:	child was playing with a train.

The zero is also used to represent a missing word, as in
*CHI:	I want 0to go home.

In both of these uses, there is no role for the square brackets.  The square brackets are only used in CHAT in combination with something being coded to the left, as in

*CHI:	he say [* 0s] he wants cookies.

When used in that way, there must be a space before the open square bracket.

However, maybe you are saying that you are using this to actually code a vocalization.  In that case, I wonder why you are using the zero which is intended to represent something that is missing.  Perhaps you want &=vocalization?

You shouldn’t need to correct or change anything in the depfile.

Good luck with this,

—Brian MacWhinney

> Wondering if anyone has come across this issue. When doing a final check on transcript files, I am getting an error that "0[voc]" is not recognized. The message that pops up is "Symbol is not declared in the depfile." This message has never popped up even though we have coded vocalizations like that before. Does anyone know how to correct it in the depfile or resolve the issue?

— Brian 他