Adding new words to the directory

Brian Macwhinney macw at cmu.edu
Mon Feb 12 21:22:52 UTC 2024

Sophie,

Just to clarify a bit.  I create the allwords.cut file as a guide for people who are trying to figure out the spelling of words like doughnut or donut and such.  It is placed outside the /lex folder in MOR and is not used by the program.  I create a new version every 3-4 months or so.

If you find that a word like “gramophone” is missing from the lexicon, then you can create a new file with a name such as 0add.cut with a line for that one word and place it into the /lex folder and, if you use the correct format such as this

gramophone {[scat n]}

then MOR will pick it up and treat it like a noun.  But calling that file 0allwords.cut would be a bit confusing, since it definitely doesn’t contain “all words”,

— Brian MacWhinney
Teresa Heinz Professor of Cognitive Psychology,
Language Technologies and Modern Languages, CMU