(a) Emmett, where are you? (b) ChInUk Wawa map of the NW

Thu Dec 3 08:56:08 UTC 1998

LhaXiyEm, na-tIlXEm,

(a) Emmett, how did those photos from the Jargon Gathering come out?

(b) As we've discussed several times, a collection of the Jargon
place-names in the NW would be good to put together.  I think you've
worked on this some, Jim?  And Luistxo in the Basque country is very
interested in displaying native-language maps on their website.

If only as a very useful exercise, I'm interested in helping collect Wawa
place names and mapping them on a single map.  For me it'd be fun to pore
over ridiculously detailed maps, collecting the information.  (That's the
kind of fella I am.)  You might be very surprised at how many ChInUk Wawa
names you'll find, reaching pretty far inland.

Here in Spokane County, we have the town of Tum Tum, for example.  And not
so far away, according to some cool free maps the US Forest Service was
giving out in Wilbur, WA, this summer, there's Skookum Puss Butte;
Klipchuck; and about 30 other names in an area the size of a county.

Shall we?

Best from
Dave
  To learn about subscribing to the SALISHAN or CHINOOK jargon discussion
   groups, just reply to this  message.  Support Native language studies!